Sr. Python Programmer (Sr. Software Developer Analyst), University of Texas at Austin
Original link: https://www.python.org/jobs/7295/
Austin, Texas, United States
Flexible work arrangements and telework are available for this position. Remote work for individuals who reside outside Texas but within the United States and its territories will be considered and requires central office approval. A typical 8-hour flexible schedule should occur between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Central Time. Occasional requirements might require work outside business hours.
At Technology Resources (TRecs) our goal is to provide our clients with information technology that enables the units to better serve the campus. Our objective is to provide secure, reliable, and responsive IT systems, solutions, and support. For more information on Technology Resources, please visit: https://trecs.utexas.edu/
We support a diverse range of business operations across 22+ supported units at UT Austin. We use Python/Django/Oracle to build and support custom web applications, integrate vendor products with enterprise systems, and customize commercial-off-the-shelf products.
Commitment to Diversity: We strive to maximize diversity and inclusivity in our workforce and daily operations to align with the University’s commitment to respecting all individuals and valuing each perspective experience. We seek out alternative viewpoints and respect the perspectives and experiences of individuals. Our work is enriched by welcoming diversity at all levels of our organization. As part of the Financial and Administrative Services (FAS) portfolio at The University of Texas at Austin, we believe the best ideas are born from sharing viewpoints, opinions, and perceptions from colleagues with varied backgrounds and experiences. Learn more about the FAS core values.
We are committed to conducting our work in a way that reflects our value of diversity. To that end, we want all of our employees to feel confident that their varied backgrounds and experiences are embraced.
Your skills will make a difference.
You’ll be working for a university that is internationally recognized for our academic programs and research. Your work will make a difference in the lives of FAS staff, thereby enhancing the student experience. If you’re the type of person that wants to know your work has meaning and impact, you’ll like working in our department and for UT Austin. UT Austin provides an outstanding benefits package including but not limited to:
- Competitive health benefits (employee premiums covered at 100%, family premiums at 50%)
- Voluntary Vision, Dental, Life, and Disability insurance options
- Generous paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Teachers Retirement System of Texas, a defined benefit retirement plan, with 8% employer matching funds
- Additional Voluntary Retirement Programs: Tax Sheltered Annuity 403(b) and a Deferred Compensation program 457(b)
- Flexible spending account options for medical and childcare expenses
- Robust free training access through LinkedIn Learning plus professional conference opportunities
- Tuition assistance
- Expansive employee discount program including athletic tickets
- Free access to UT Austin's libraries and museums with staff ID card
- Free rides on all UT Shuttle and Austin CapMetro buses with staff ID card
For more details, please see: https://hr.utexas.edu/prospective/benefits and https://hr.utexas.edu/current/services/my-total-rewards .
Must be authorized to work in the United Sates on a full-time basis for any employer.
Coding lead for Python/Django/Oracle web applications that deliver complex software solutions to meet the business needs of departments supported by Technology Resources (TRecs). Mentor and guide other programmers to analyze current and future business processes. Work with Product Owners and clients to create and interpret business specifications. Share responsibility for maintenance and enhancement of existing business applications, integrations, and jobs.
- Provide programming, technical, and data analysis. Write custom code, configure software packages, analyze and debug moderate to complex programming logic. Build integrations between software packages. Provide some data analysis. Accurately scope projects and tasks.
- As technical lead, work closely with product owners to determine business requirements and system objectives for small and medium efforts. Investigate available software configurations and capabilities. Make well-considered recommendations and decisions with ambiguous information. Ensure technical tasks are defined for the project team. Communicate effectively with a variety of audiences.
- Lead team to design, develop, implement, maintain, and follow standards for quality assurance and testing all aspects of software, including accuracy, features, security, usability, and accessibility.
- Review programs and systems written by others. Provide supervision, mentorship, and direction to junior technical staff. Share knowledge with colleagues and peers.
- Provide advanced operational support to include monitoring systems, investigating issues, improving business processes, and remediating code deficiencies.
- Collaborate on quality assurance and testing to ensure application accuracy, functionality, security, usability, and accessibility. Champion automated tests where feasible.
- Review, improve, and create system documentation, diagrams, and flowcharts. Provide input to departmental standards, process improvements, and technical documentation.
$85,000 + depending on qualifications
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.
- Three or more years of Python experience designing, writing, developing, and testing complex software for administrative systems.
- Experience delivering successful projects to meet business requirements including estimating and establishing project milestones.
- Experience leading IT projects.
- Exceptional analytical, multi-tasking, and resourceful problem-solving skills.
- Experience documenting and testing complex processes.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with both non-technical and technical audiences.
- Ability to work across organizational units to achieve goals.
- Self-managed and highly motivated with a strong drive for delivering high-quality results within schedule.
- Exhibit professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree with more than five years of demonstrated Python and IT leadership experience.
- Experience in many aspects of delivering successful projects for a variety of client needs.
- Experience leading IT projects of significant scope.
- Experience with Oracle.
- Some experience writing software in Natural/ADABAS.
- Experience working with a variety of groups and organizational levels.
- Experience implementing/integrating vendor software packages into a heterogeneous production environment.
- Experience meeting security and accessibility standards.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing technology.
- Clear ability to make well-considered decisions and recommendations with ambiguous information.
- Demonstrate initiative and exercise appropriate judgment to perform actions within job functions.
- Experience with waterfall or agile software development processes.
- Experience with UT Austin administrative systems.